In this updated edition of Knowing Scripture, R.C Sproul help us dig out the meaning of Scripture for ourselves.
The author says, “The theme of this book is not how to read the Bible but how to study the Bible.”
He presents in simple, basic terms a commonsense approach to studying Scripture and gives eleven practical guidelines for biblical interpretation and applying what we learn.
Here are six things you’ll learn from this book (of course there are more than ten things, but we’d like to keep this post short and let you find out for yourself when you read the book)
1. Why do we need to study the Bible?
Of course, we all know that we absolutely need to do this. But do you know how to answer when a new Christian asks you why we need to? The book talks about some myths that Christians have about studying the Bible and what are the biblical basis we hold on to when it comes to this.
2. The importance of private Bible study
One of the myths R.C Sproul discusses in the first chapter is that only scholars and theologians need to study the Bible. He then talks about the importance of private interpretation in our spiritual growth, particularly in the area of grace.
3. Hermeneutics and the “science” of interpretation
Ordinary people (meaning non-seminary, non-pastoral people) sometimes balk at the word hermeneutics but the author breaks it down into terms we can understand, including the three primary principles of interpretation.
4. 11 practical rules for Biblical interpretation
They are indeed practical and very useful! Some of the rules included are:
- Read the Bible like any other book
- Determine carefully the meaning of words
- Note the difference between proverb and law
- Observe the difference between the spirit and the letter of the law
5. Culture and the Bible
Was the Bible created only for 1st Century Christians? Which parts of the Bible were conditioned by the culture in the era when it was written? How do we “adapt” the Bible to our current culture today?
6. Practical Tools for Bible Study
The book contains a comprehensive list of tools you can use for your personal growth or for your group Bible study. A must-have list!
Some other things you can learn from the book
- Discovering the meaning of biblical words
- Understanding Hebrew poetry, proverbs and parables
- Approaching historical and didactic passages
- Being careful with predictive prophecy
- Discerning how culture conditions the Bible
- Choosing and using Bible translations, commentaries, Bible software and other helps
Knowing Scripture by R.C Sproul is available at all OMF Lit Bookshops nationwide for only P175